Saturday, October 7, 2017

What's next?

This week I've had some major, unexpected acceptances and publications. After being blown away by Martian Migraine's A Breath From the Sky I was elated to learn that my story "Volver Al Monte" was going to be part of Chthonic: Weird Tales of the Inner Earth. Editor Scott Jones has developed a reputation for his small press, and I am quite excited to get my contributor copy so I can read the stories in them. You'll see tales from John Linwood Grant, Gemma Files, Nadia Bulkin, Aaron Beeson and...Ramsey Campbell. Still not quite sure what to make of sharing a table of contents with Ramsey Campbell.

That's weird.

As of now I'm leafing my way through Ride The Star Winds: Cthulhu, Space Opera, and the Cosmic Weird from the ever-expanding and enterprising Broken Eye Press. Again, some top quality writers: I am currently enjoying Lucy A. Snyder's story, but also enjoyed those from Nadia Bulkin and Premee Mohamad. Each story comes with an illustration, and the hardcover is a rather beautiful experience.

Speaking of reading, I'll announce for the first time here that I've taken on a reviewer position, but I can't say where yet. I finished all of my reviews before the academic year started, but during that time I read some very quality works that I am looking forward to sharing with you. Look forward to these reviews rolling out towards the end of the month or the beginning of the next. I'll say more when I can.

My writing is slowing down, though I'm trying to write every Sunday. The current story I am finishing is the beginning of a series of weird western tales told in a fantasy setting inspired by the post-civil war United States. Several nations are active on the continent, the United Federation in the east, Yijin and the Coastal Colonies to the west. In the south is Anahuac, a mysterious and quickly rising power. In the center of all of it are the wildlands, ruled by tribal federations of skin walkers, ogres and oni, demons and spirits. I want to flex some new muscles, and the first story will introduce John Armitage and Freedomtown, both of which will be foundational characters for the plan I have in my head.

The other big project concerns my occult detective, Joe Bartred. Joe will debut soon, but I like to plan ahead. Regrettably, talking about Joe in this sense cues readers in to the spoiler that Joe will not die...any time soon. Sorry. In this sense, he is not what John Linwood Grant refers to as a "doomed meddler," but there are fates worse than death. And Joe, for all his power and all his knowledge, is only a man. I would like to not only tell more Joe stories, but take a look at his supporting cast too. Characters I hope you will learn more about early next year.

And of course, the ever-expanding world of Borkchito. Borkie has surprised me in how popular he is, and I will say this of the next story: Yves has surprised and outpaced me at every turn. My favorite characters are being introduced. Boss Puggeaux has been alluded to, a certain mustached priest (my favorite character) made his debut. And this is only the beginning.

That's all for now, check out links below for Ride the Star Winds and Breath From the Sky.

-Edwards

https://www.amazon.com/Ride-Star-Wind-Cthulhu-Cosmic-ebook/dp/B0747W4ZC9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507391383&sr=8-1&keywords=ride+the+star+winds

https://www.amazon.com/Breath-Sky-Unusual-Stories-Possession-ebook/dp/B074N3H4SF/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1507391414&sr=1-1&keywords=breath+from+the+sky

Ah. And I would be remiss to not discuss Test Patterns forthcoming from Planet X Publications. The work is one of love, and has quite the spectacular line up. Editors Duane Pesice and Michael Adams have a murderer's row of contributors ranging from Joe S. Pulver (!!!), Matthew Bartlett, Peter Rawlik and Cody Goodfellow to a few newer writers such as Rob F. Martin and Russell Smeaton. My friend Jill Hand is in it as well, so this is going to be quite the outstanding collection. You can reserve your copy in the link below.

https://www.gofundme.com/39qw5ps

No comments:

Post a Comment