Tuesday, December 6, 2016

I've Taken Up Poetry

I’ve Taken Up Poetry
By S. L. Edwards

I cast the line out and the water ripples
Silent waves and clear-whispering riddles.
I tilt my hat, and lean back in my chair
Relaxing and foregoing all of my cares.

The straw hat is rough but I cannot feel
My nerves are beneath a skin like steel.
My purple skin soaks up the lights
As I think about long gone nights.

 You wouldn’t know it but I wasn’t so nice
With a fist like iron, and a soul of hard ice. 
From the edge of the galaxy I watched and waited
All of their moves, loves and plans were anticipated.

With my army of Darkness I sought to sweep
All of the Earth and claim the spoils for keep.


It was intolerable. Those lame, lazy louses!
Those half-hearted, dribbling idiots saved by “heroes”!
The word is bitter salt in my mouth… “heroes”!
These insects with painted up faces, going around in costumes
Plastered with initials and symbols on their chests…
Wearing their underwear outside of their pants…
My reality is tantamount to perfection!
A world ruled by me, and all suffering ended through the destruction of free will!


Sorry, I forsook my godhood and picked up a pole
And slowly but surely adjusted to a new sort of role
In which I gave my ambitions away
And simply sat and laid about all day.

I’ve noticed earth’s sun is a beautiful yellow
Unlike Titan’s cold, rusted, iron sun
Your human sun is bright, fantastically mellow
Whereas Titan’s sun, is simply done.

That was part of the reason I left Titan for dead
And began my old empire, my new name of dread.
“The Bone Empire” was a name to be feared
And my ascent into godhood gradually neared.

My name was “Volos” the vanguard of all
And one by one worlds fell fast to my call.


It is no hard thing, to kill a god.
One must simply reach the most hidden places
The brightest, sacred, hidden away spot of the mind.
There, in sanctum cerebrum a person holds their belief
Their faith. Whether this be of a god, others, or themselves
Is of little importance. Crush that faith, and the nothingness is sweet.
And in that quiet, little empty moment, a person breaks and the world
Is made stronger on a foundation of bones.


The great alien warlord Volos pulls in his line
Fishing quietly, in order to merely pass the time.
I cannot die, not in a human timeframe
And there is no one to carry on my name…

But on Tuesdays I take time to paint.
My inspiration is clear, without taint
In my lovely lonely, riverside house
I have no reason to want to go out.

I know there is nothing out there,
In the sky there is only empty air
Most cannot breathe it, it is slow-choking.
A quick death, something worth hoping.

I rode the frigid snail waves of outer space
When I left Titan, and annihilated my race.


My army was ready, the pieces strong!
Earth was just to be another battle ground…
Tokyo was clouded in infinite shadow
As I mumbled my secret prayers
And opened up a door for my god.
A being which promised me immortality.
Immortality is not all that it is cracked up to be
When you get beat by men in costumes!

Men! The thought makes my rage boil.
Old plans in my mind grow and uncoil.
A thousand serpents writhe in my heart
As I remember my old, destructive art.

I sigh, and a take out my stress ball.
I squeeze it, and slowly forget all.
Tomorrow I will be making terrible pottery
And checking the numbers for the “lottery”.

I have forsaken “Volos” and gone with “Tim”
My days of world conquering, gone and dim.
I quickly reel in my line with nothing on it.
And in my grating voice say “Dog gonnit.”

I put on my hat, scream and shake my fist.
Next week my catch will be better than this. 


Fish of earth! You think you can defy Volos?
Volos, catcher of Bass and eater of Catfish?
Volos, who eats his fish raw and whole
Between his razor teeth after tenderizing them
With nothing but 20 pound hands?
Well I wonder, fish of earth, if any of your number are like them
Any costumed heroes, swimming down there?

If so, I will go hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment